Thursday, April 3, 2008

UPDATE: The Smile Train is Not Smilestimes

Want to know what I'm really fucking sick of? Those web ads with a picture of the kid with a fucked-upped lip. I know its for a charity and all but the picture makes me sick. It's terrible. And it seems like it's on every single Web site I visit. I clicked on it once just to find out the name of the place and its something called "The Smile Train" and it's a charity for kids with cleft lips. I'm all for charity but unless this thing is life-threatening (which I don't think it is) then I just don't care. I have a lot more serious things to feel guilty about like Darfur and starving children than some fucked-upped lips. I know its for a good cause and that a little donation could do a lot of good but you're not going to win me over with those shock ads and by trying to make me feel guilty. So memo to the Smile Train: quit ruining the Interweb for me and everyone else; if I don't see one of your ads on the Web for an entire week I will donate $50, no joke.

UPDATE: A noble effort by the smile train collapsed today, Saturday, April the fifth, at 11:31 a.m. while I was visiting the Hartford Courant's Web site. Alas, no donation shall be made at this juncture.

No comments: